Well, we sold our house and had less than a month to find a new place and get moved so the electronics install had to go on the back burner. Things have stabilized though and we have been able to make some additional progress.
The old system was all networked with NMEA 0183. SeaVee ran all of that to a bus bar for distribution, but all their pretty wiring was a pain in the butt to pull apart and trace. I was afraid to cut wires without being certain what was what so I traced every one from end to end before removing. SeaVee has all the wires tightly bundled together into several routing channels. Each one is zip tied to a clip screwed to the fiberglass every two inches or less! I had to clip every one of those little suckers.
The bus bars in the background below are the old NMEA hub.
In the end, I was able to completely remove all of it as there was nothing wired in here that was needed for the Simrad install. Since it’s all Smirad it will all connect through the NMEA 2000 backbone. Much simpler than the old setup.
I built a new aluminum rack to mount all of the black boxes and the stereo amplifier.
Had to go back and fiberglass in the dash where the auto pilot goes. Thought the dimensions were the same, but did not work out that way.
Auto Pilot installed and MFD’s up and running!
Still need to get the transducer in and the radar array mounted. Can’t wait to get it all up and running.
Until next time, catch ’em up!