Simrad Halo Radar on Dual Range

I have been learning the features of the new Simrad electronics we installed on the FNP.  One of the features I like best is the dual range set up for the Halo radar.  This allows you to run two separate instances of the radar simultaneously at two different ranges.  For example, you can have one on 1/8 mile looking very close to the boat for buoys or other items and another at say 2 miles to give you a better big picture view.  Or perhaps you want one in at 1-3 miles to watch for boats, buoys, etc…, and the other at 24 miles watching the weather.

What is particularly cool is that the digital radar is tuning for both ranges to optimize the returns you are showing at those ranges.  Its not just a zoomed in picture of the same radar return.

While you can also select two different modes for the radar such as bird mode, harbor mode, weather mode, or offshore mode, where the mode results in higher or lower speed of rotation of the radar array, the system must pick one speed or the other and cannot simultaneously rotate at two different speeds.

Here is a short video of how to set this up on your Evo3 display.

Hope you find this useful and that it helps get you out there to catch ’em up!

Getting Out To Test The New Simrad Electronics

Well, finally have all the electronics installed and up and running. Decided to take a little fishing trip and test them out.

The biggest struggle with this whole project was installation of the new transducer.  Its a “shoot through” transducer you mount in a tank in the boat and it shoots through the hull.  This approach eliminates the need for holes in the hull.  The tank is that yellow box in the pic below:

The FNP had a shoot through Airmar R199 2KW non CHIRP transducer before so I decided to replace with the newer R111 2KW CHIRP.  The diagram on the Airmar site showed the two transducers had exactly the same dimensions so I could just unbolt the old one and drop the new one in the same tank.  Well, that was wrong!   And that was important because as you can see from the picture above, the tank was fiber-glassed to the boat hull sandwiched under the deck and drive shaft just in front of the IPS drive.

Turns out the new transducer was 2cm wider than the old one.  So, we had to use a multi tool to cut the old one out.  That was slow and painful, but we got it done.  Went to install the new one and it would not fit between the transmission and the deck. So we had to start pulling guards off the drive shaft universal joint to make enough room to get the new onne into position.

After hours of sweating, we got her in.

We filled with Glycol and dropped the new transducer in and she worked like a charm.  We will never be removing it!

So, now its time to try everything out in the real world. We headed out to do a little fishing and play with the new toys.

Caught some fish too.

Over the next few weeks I will be doing some how to videos about different elements of the new electronics.  Its been interesting learning how to get them configured and to learn and use the plethora of cool features like dual range radar, target tracking and so on.  Until then, I hope all are safe from the storm and soon are able to get back on the water and catch ’em up.