A Quick But Successful Swordfish Trip

My buddy Stephen called me wanting to take his new Grady White Marlin 300 out for some fishing.  With schedule constraints on both ends we ended up with a last minute departure at three in the afternoon aimed at a little sunset wahoo fishing and then on to overnight sword fishing.

Things started out rough when I realized I had forgotten the swordfish baits in the rush to get to the boat.  Fortunately we were able to pick up some Baitmasters sword squid on the way out the pass.

We made it out to the edge and put the high speed wahoo baits in the water, but after a couple of hours without a bite we decided to pack up and head south to the sword grounds.  I rigged up a couple of squid during the run.  Stephen’s Grady rode well and has a good bait rigging station that let me work while underway.  Rigging your own baits is a lot harder than just buying pre-rigged, but when you catch the fish it gives you a bit more satisfaction to know you built the right presentation.

Lines in a little before 9Pm.  We picked a spot based on how we thought we would drift and after a bit decided we liked how we were moving over the deep ocean bottom contours.  We sat back and had an adult beverage and some fried chicken and waited.  About 80 minutes in the shallow rod clicked a few times.  We reeled up a few cranks, dropped back a bit, but no further movement on the bait.  Maybe just the wave action?

At about 90 minutes as we were discussing relocation plans, the deep bait rod started clicking.  One click, two, three, stopped.  Hmm.  Played with the bait a bit bringing it up and dropping back and the clicker starts going again.  This time a little more consistent pull so we start cranking and fish on!  Woo Hoo.

Stephen belted up and settled in for the fight.  (Video Link at the bottom of thread) All smiles at first.

But as the fight wore on there were not as many smiles and I started to hear some grunting.  40 minutes in Stephen was putting the heat to this fish with about 25# of drag on the 80W reel.

Some might say that is too much drag on a swordfish, but the fish is in the boat after a 90 minute battle 🙂

Well, at least part of it.  He really did not fit through the door and way too heavy for me and Stephen to get over the gunnel.  We turned him up on his belly and started tugging and eventually were able to get it to slip through the door and into the cockpit.

The fish is a stud.

In fact, it would not fit in the fish box or the fish bag even with the bill cut off.  So, we set about the business of improvising.  Now he sleeps with the fishes 🙂

The happy angler selfie.

With the fish iced on deck and more sword than we could eat in a month of Sundays, we decided to head for the hill.   Got sporty on the way home as we passed through a pretty ugly lightning storm.  Got back in about 3:30 AM and sidled up to a friend’s boat from which we could get some additional ice while we waited for the scales to open.

Weighed it in at 235#.  Cleaned that baby and back home by 8 a.m. That is an efficient trip.

Here is the action on video:

Hope you enjoyed.  If you did please like us on YouTube and subscribe to this blog by putting your email in the subscribe window on the right margin —>

Until next time, catch ’em up!


Leave a Reply