Well, finally have all the electronics installed and up and running. Decided to take a little fishing trip and test them out.
The biggest struggle with this whole project was installation of the new transducer. Its a “shoot through” transducer you mount in a tank in the boat and it shoots through the hull. This approach eliminates the need for holes in the hull. The tank is that yellow box in the pic below:
The FNP had a shoot through Airmar R199 2KW non CHIRP transducer before so I decided to replace with the newer R111 2KW CHIRP. The diagram on the Airmar site showed the two transducers had exactly the same dimensions so I could just unbolt the old one and drop the new one in the same tank. Well, that was wrong! And that was important because as you can see from the picture above, the tank was fiber-glassed to the boat hull sandwiched under the deck and drive shaft just in front of the IPS drive.
Turns out the new transducer was 2cm wider than the old one. So, we had to use a multi tool to cut the old one out. That was slow and painful, but we got it done. Went to install the new one and it would not fit between the transmission and the deck. So we had to start pulling guards off the drive shaft universal joint to make enough room to get the new onne into position.
After hours of sweating, we got her in.
We filled with Glycol and dropped the new transducer in and she worked like a charm. We will never be removing it!
So, now its time to try everything out in the real world. We headed out to do a little fishing and play with the new toys.
Caught some fish too.
Over the next few weeks I will be doing some how to videos about different elements of the new electronics. Its been interesting learning how to get them configured and to learn and use the plethora of cool features like dual range radar, target tracking and so on. Until then, I hope all are safe from the storm and soon are able to get back on the water and catch ’em up.